Marshmallows (Corn-free)

marshmallows

Once you’ve tried homemade marshmallows, you’ll never settle for those supermarket bags.   These are truly amazing, both to make and to eat.  Watching the syrup fluff up is one of those magical-seeming science experiments that make candymaking fun.

Thanks to Cooking for Engineers for the great information on the science and history of marshmallow making, as well as the recipe that inspired this corn-free version.

3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin

3/4 cup water, separated

2 cups white sugar

2/3 cup golden syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

potato starch

Tools needed: stand mixer with paddle attachment and a candy thermometer

Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan and then powder liberally with the potato starch.   Pour 1/2 cup of the water and the gelatin into the bowl of your stand mixer.   Allow to sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the remaining 1/4 cup  water, the sugar, salt and syrup together in a medium saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer.  Do not stir once the mixture starts to bubble, or you risk having the syrup crystallize.  Wash down any crystals that form on the sides of the pan with a clean pastry brush dipped in cold water.

Once the mixture has reached 250 degrees, remove it from the heat and immediately drizzle it into the gelatin mixture with the mixer running at low speed.  Once the syrup has all been poured in, increase the speed to high.  (You may need to do this slowly to prevent splatters, or cover the bowl with a tent of plastic wrap.)  Beat for 10 minutes on high until white and fluffy.

Pour and/or scrape the fluff into the prepared pan and allow to dry overnight.  Turn out onto a board dusted liberally with potato starch and cut into cubes with a pizza cutter.  Dredge all sticky sides in the potato starch and store in an airtight container.  Marshmallows should keep for several weeks (if they last that long!)

46 thoughts on “Marshmallows (Corn-free)

1. Jenny says:

Hi
    What is Golden Syrup? I’m really interested in making these since I have very allergic 3 year old twins. Thanks in advance

Jenny

2. We use Lyle’s Golden Syrup (http://www.lylesgoldensyrup.com/lylesgoldensyrup/default.htm), which can be hard to find in the United States, but is very popular in Brittan. It is a cane sugar syrup, very sticky, that can be used as a substitute for honey, corn syrup, or molasses in recipes. Hopefully, it will work for your twins! My three-year-old and I had a lot of fun making (and toasting and eating) these.

I just checked and it is available on Amazon!

Jeanette

3. I haven’t tried it with rice syrup, but I think it would work. Rice syrup behaves somewhat differently when you caramelize it (as in granola bars) than cane sugar, so the end result might be a little softer and require more drying than cane sugar marshmallows. If you try it, please let me know if it works!

Jeanette

4. JenJen123 says:

I’ve been looking high and low for a recipe such as this!! See, our guy is corn AND rice free!!! Marshmallows that can be purchased contain either corn or rice syrup :( But no need to fret now!! We can make our own! Thanks sooo very much! Although, we are in the states and Lyle’s can’t be purchased at my local store…it can be purchased online…such as Amazon grocery! Thanks again from a fun-lovin GFCFSFCFRFEFOF lil boy!

5. I didn’t see where I was supposed to put the salt… so I left it out. I used a wire whip instead of the flat beater, and only needed to beat it for 5 minutes. But they were excellent. Now I just need to make it cane sugar-free so that my son can have them too…. I posted a comment (and link to the recipe) on my blog! Thanks for the recipe!

• Sorry, editing problem there! I’ve fixed it.

What kind of sweetner can your son have? It might be possible to make them with honey, though the taste would be really different. Would require some experimentation!

6. Roxcy says:

Hi, my 2 1/2 year old daughter is allergic to wheat, corn, dairy, and potatoes. She just discovered that she’s missing out on marshmellows.

Do you think that I could us tapioca starch instead of potato starch?

Thanks so much!

• The potato starch is basically there just to keep the marshmallows from sticking to each other. So anything along those lines would probably work. Arrowroot powder?? Let me know if it works!

• Denice says:

Any news on how this went with tapioca or arrowroot?
        My daughter also can’t have potatoes. On an upcoming Girl Scout camping trip they will be having s’mores and daughter doesn’t want to miss out.

• Becky says:

I use Tapioca Starch instead and they turn out fantastic. I actually prefer them with the Tapioca over the Potato Starch but I do make them either way depending on what I have on hand.

7. I love these!!!! Sooo Easy and good! I found Golden Syrup at our local Stop & Shop! I share this recipe with everyone I know!!!! Next I plan on using this recipe for marshmallow fondant. (Add a lot of powdered sugar basically LOL)

8. venetta says:

I haven’t tried this marshmallow recipe yet but I would
    like to know if the white sugar can be substituted with
    another type of sugar? Example, pure Stevia or Xylitol
    made for cooking and baking? Has anyone tried it with
    another type of sugar?

• I don’t think that either Stevia or Xylitol would work with this recipe. It relies on the chemical changes that sugar makes when heated to a certian temperature – and stevia and xylitol are both so different that I don’t believe they would work the same way.

9. Serenity Drum says:

Thank you for this recipe. We are going camping and my soon won’t be left out of the roasting party! He is allergic to corn, eggs and chicken. It was easy to make too! Thanks so much!
    -Serenity

10. Corn & Rice-Free says:

Love these for my son with corn/rice allergies. They work just as great for roasting, too :-) Trying this batch with some vanilla so we’ll see how that goes!

11. Anne says:

Thank you! I have really been missing the occasional sweet snacks and this made some excellent rice krispy treats! My family said the marshmallows themselves were amazing (I don’t like marshmallows except with rice krispies). They were pretty easy too. My piece of advice to anyone making them is when it says a medium saucepan, use a medium saucepan! (or larger) I spilled the sugar because my pan was too small. However, it all worked out! Yum!

12. My kids have an appetite for marshmallows, like most kids do for candy bars. It’s on their fave foods list. So, when I threw out all items with corn in them (dtr has allergy), marshmallows went off our list. So deprived are they, that when I announced I’m making marshmallows, it became an event. The recipe turned out great, and now if we can find corn free rice crispies, we’ll be in business!

13. wenders says:

Thank you for this recipe! I googled looking for a corn-free soy-free marshmallow and your blog came up. My son is allergic to eggs, soy, nuts, corn, rapeseed, beef, chicken, pork, garlic, and melons. After all that, I sometimes wonder what I can feed him. But before I discovered all his allergies, I gave his rice krispy treats, but haven’t been able to give it to him now since discovering the corn allergy. So now, I can make the marshmallow to make the yummy treats! (I use Trader Joe’s Crispy Rice which doesnot contain corn – phew!)

Now the task is to locate this Golden Syrup and examine the ingredients. Wonder if I can sub with a thickened simple syrup?

• Yes, you could substitute your own thick simple syrup. If you get it to work, let me know the ratio of sugar to water!
      Lyle’s is in the maple syrup section of my grocery store.

14. Paula M. Boyd says:

Thank you for the recipe!! My son is allergic to peanut, egg, soy, and corn; however, corn syrup, corn oil, soybean oil, and soy lecithin are safe for him. I JUST discovered that Kellogg rice crispy treats (packaged) are safe, and he had his first last week. Boy!! Did he love them! However, I REALLY want to make marshmallows from scratch. I look forward to his being able to eat s’mores with his sisters, who have no food allergies, for the first time. (Hershey’s chocolate bars are safe.) I plan to go the extra mile and make graham crackers from scratch. I also look forward to making rice crispy treats from scratch again. Thank you again!

15. Julie says:

Absolutely love these!! I couldn’t find the Lyle’s Syrup so I used 100% maple syrup. Works perfectly!! Thanks for posting this. My daughter was heartbroken about giving up marshmallows!!

16. denver says:

Please, are these low histamine? If not, what should I replace?
    butter, sugar-cane sugar, pears, flour, Baking soda, candied ginger, ground cinnamon, molasses, golden syrup, eggs, white yogurt, sweet cream
    thanks

17. Karen says:

Ahh! Thank goodness. I miss marshmellows. So many things I love have corn syrup and/or starch! Now I can have s’mores again :).

18. Katia Drag says:

Thank you for the great idea to make my own marshmallows. My son is corne and rice sensitive and there is always a problem with his diet. These new marshmallows came out perfectly and they are going camping with us tommorrow. Thanks again. I found Golden Syrup at the local grocery store in the International section. The recipe was easy to make.

19. marydk says:

What kind of corn free gelatin did you use? We have wheat, corn, peanut, pecan and sesame seeds allergies in my house so we haven’t been able to have marshmallows for ever. My son would be thrilled to see these!

• Gelatin does not usually contain corn. I use the Knox brand. The corn-free part is the Lyle’s Golden Syrup, which can be tricky to find but many grocery stores carry.

• I don’t think it would work in this recipe. I have seen recipes for vegan marshmallows but the proportion of other ingredients was different. Let me know if you find one that works!

20. G says:

Do you know if when making rice krispies it work to use the batch when hot (since you melt marshmallows for the recipe) and not cool it to cut?

21. Jenn says:

you mentioned 250 degrees, but I live at high altitude and I am wondering if this will affect the temperature. When I have made candy before, I have had to adjust the temps to our boiling point here (which is lower). Is there a chance you can help out with this confusion? Thanks!

• I am out of my league on this one. I’ve never done any high altitude cooking, let alone candy making which is fiddly. I suggest trying to find a resource just about high altitude candy making and see what the correct temp would be. I’m sure someone has made a conversion chart, but I’m not knowledgable enough on this to recommend one.